Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Shelf Of Little Things






















Growing up, my mom always had a shelf of little things.
Using a type set drawer hung on the wall, my mom would fill the compartments with various treasures and trinkets.

As a young adult, I bought my own drawer and followed suit.
Originally, my drawer was natural wood.  In my mid 20's, I painted it orange.  In my 30's, it was chocolate brown.  Now in my 40's it finally occurred to me it didn't have to be a solid color.

Using only the paints I had (which was a mix of $.99 craft paint to lovely Golden liquid acrylic) I went for it.  I love it so much, I shan't be filling it back up with little things...for now.

Just in case you aren't familiar with a type set draw, they were used back in the olden days before computers, before typewriters.  The thin, flat drawers held all the type set used in printing.
Or check this ETSY listing.

3 comments:

  1. Back in the 90's I worked for a commercial printer that actually had a letterpress department and used the drawers for letter storage. Very cool, what you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh - I love all of those colors, Jenny! (And the jump roping pig below is soooo adorable - Congratulations on winning a spot in the course!)

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete