Wednesday, September 3, 2014

My Friend Gary


My friend Gary died 5 years ago today.
I was there when he took his last labored breath.
My hand was on his bare ankle. It was the first time I ever felt Life leave.
Mysterious.  Glorious.  Heartbreaking.  Beautiful.

Gary was a significant part of my life for 17 years.
But grief can glamorize our memories.  I don't want to do that.
Gary was not perfect. He drank too much, ate too much and was highly, and sometimes, annoyingly opinionated.

But he also loved deeply.
Gary loved me more that I ever knew.  He loved me like a daughter.
I learned how deep his love was just a few days before he died.

You know you have lived, and died, well when people can remember the good and bad about you, but instead they choose to move to Love, then and now.

1 comment: